Saturday, 12 January 2013

2013 beauty low-buy

I was hoping to post my favourite products of 2012 but my husband's computer (where all my photos currently live) has decided to go on strike. Hopefully we'll have it fixed by the end of next week so until then, I thought I'd talk about my beauty low buy.......

I've been trying to restrict the amount of make-up I buy since last summer. I spent an afternoon reorganising my stash and it dawned on me just how much make-up I actually own. There were so many beautiful lipsticks and eye shadows that have been used maybe once or twice and once I realised this I simply couldn't justify buying several new make-up products every week. 

Whilst I have managed to curb my spending a little bit, I still managed to convince myself that I needed that new nail polish/lipstick/blush because it was such a good deal. My stash continued to grow and although I have been spending less on make-up and nail polish, I have still been spending unnecessarily.

Because I'm fat, many people assume that I must be a comfort eater, but this is so far from the truth! In reality, I use buying make-up to deal with feeling low or depressed, and I use buying make-up to reward myself or celebrate. This is a really unhealthy way of living and it doesn't contribute anything towards fixing the underlying problems. On top of this, it costs a fortune and takes up lots of space!

As we entered 2013, several of the ladies in one of the facebook groups I'm a member of suggested a low-buy/no-buy support group so I decided that now is as good a time as any to face my make-up monster.

I am allowing myself to buy specific items like mascara and make-up remover if they run out, and I dare say that when I turn 30 (eeeeek!) on the 2nd of February, I'll probably have a little splurge, but I am determined to stop comfort buying!

I have removed myself from all the beauty related newsletters I was subscribed to, and I've changed my settings on facebook so that beauty company updates don't show up in my newsfeed. This, coupled with avoiding shops that may tempt me, seems to be paying off so far.

Another massive plus to going on a low-buy is that it has encouraged me to use the unloved items in my stash and I've even been trying out some looks that are completely outside of my comfort zone.

Are you on a make-up low-buy or no-buy? Do you have any tips or tricks that you can share?

No comments:

Post a Comment