Monday, 10 October 2011

My top ten tips to save your time, money and sanity!

Just a quick text only post to share some of the tips and tricks I've picked up during my many years as a make-up addict!

1. If you have oily or hooded lids (I have both), but enjoy wearing thick, winged eyeliner on occasion, apply a primer such as UDDP all over your eyelid and the area you will draw your wing. This stops your liner from transferring and helps the winged part stay in place for longer.

2. Styling your hair into an updo, quiff, victory rolls etc, is much easier if your hair isn’t squeaky clean. If you’ve just washed your hair, spray in a bit of dry shampoo to make it more matte and easier to work with.

3. Use a small, stiff make-up brush dipped in nail polish remover to tidy up any mistakes when you paint your nails. I use the E.L.F. regular line concealer brush and it works a charm.

4. To avoid the dreaded fallout when you wear glitter, instead of applying some sort of “glue” or mixing medium to your lid and then pressing on the glitter, mix the glitter with the glue or medium and then apply. No more sparkly explosions on your face.

5. If I see a gorgeous FOTD pic when browsing beauty blogs etc, I save it to my computer in a make-up inspiration folder. Within that folder, I have several sub-folders for blue looks/dramatic/sparkly and so on. If I’m in a make-up rut, but know I want to work with orange shades, I just open my orange folder and get inspired!

6. If you plan on heading out make-up shopping, pack a small packet of wet wipes so that you can clean your hand between swatching.

7. Avoid a messy lip line when wearing very dramatic or dark colours by tidying up the edge with a bit of your concealer.

8. E.L.F. elements quad compacts are exactly the right size for MAC eye shadows and they have a cute little mirror. They might not look as sleek as the MAC quads, but they can easily be decorated with stickers and the like, and for a measly £1.50, who can complain?

9. I would not be without my trusty tube of Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant. This stuff is an absolute life saver, and can be used on everything from chapped lips to minor burns and abrasions. If I get a patch of very dry skin on my face during the winter, I pop a bit of eight hour cream on before I go to bed, and by the time I wake up my skin is lovely and soft again.

10. Use your brow highlight colour to help blend out your crease and lid colours – I begin by patting the colour on to the brow bone (I usually use my MAC studio fix powder) then using whatever is left on the brush to work over my crease/lid shade in small circular movements.

Phew! I hope that you found some of these tips helpful. Please feel free to share your own top tips in the comments of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment